June 4, 2022

Deputyship or Lasting Power of Attorney

There is a difference between these two legal mechanisms; it’s important to understand that applying for a Deputyship under the Mental Capacity Act is not the same as making a Lasting Power of Attorney.

Lasting Power of Attorney – LPA

An LPA is a legal document that enables someone aged 21 years or older (the donor) to voluntarily name a donee or donees, that will make decisions on the donor’s behalf, should they ever lose their mental capacity.


If someone has not made an LPA and they have lost their mental capacity, then a deputyship may be used. Most commonly, a family member will ask the Family Court for the power to make decisions on behalf of their mentally incapacitated family member.

For children with intellectual disabilities, their parents may apply to the Court to appoint themselves as their children’s deputy. In case the parent should die or themselves lose their mental capacity, someone else can also be named as a successor deputy at the same time.

More information regarding making a deputy application can be found here.

Advantages of an LPA over a Deputy

The best option for someone who still has their mental faculties, is to make an LPA, for the following reasons:

  1. LPAs allow the person themselves to make their own choice as to who they want to make decision on their behalf, when they no longer can. The risk with a Deputy is that the person who has lost their mental capacity may not have chosen that person, had they had the chance.
  2. The family members and loved ones involved will not have the stress of having to apply to court to become a Deputy if an LPA exists.
  3. Arguments over who is to become the deputy can arise.
  4. The timescale involved in applying to be a Deputy can be as long as six months, compared to an LPA which may take only two or three days.
  5. Deputy applications are significantly more expensive than LPAs.

Similar Articles

What happens if you die without a Will?

Many people wonder what happens to their assets if they were to die intestate (without leaving a valid will). In this article we answer that question. You may also find this useful if one of your relatives has died without leaving a will, and you aren’t sure if you will inherit something from them. The simple answer is that for people who die without leaving a will, the Intestate Succession...

Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration?

If a deceased person dies and leaves a valid will, then the beneficiaries named in that document will get the assets. A Grant of Probate needs to be obtained by court application. However, if the deceased left no valid will, then family members will have to ask the court to issue a Grant of Letters of Administration. Family members would then receive the inheritance according to the Intestate Succession Act....

What to do when a loved one passes away

Even though experiencing the death of a loved one is a very difficult and emotional event, there are certain things you must do if it happens. These range from hiring a probate lawyer to settle financial and legal matters, as well reporting the death, to deciding how the estate should be managed and settling questions about inheritance. Here are the 8 legal things you should do if a loved one...

× How can we help you? Available on SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday