June 10, 2022

Reseal a Grant of Probate

If someone who owns assets in both their home country and also abroad dies, then what should happen to their assets abroad?

In their home country, their next of kin will take charge of matters via their domestic courts, but how can they control assets in another country, for example if those assets are in Singapore?

In a situation such as this, the Singaporean financial institutions will require the next of kin to obtain a Singapore court order which grants power to the executors so they can manage the estate. The correct legal terminology for this is to apply to “reseal the foreign grant of probate”.

Applying for a resealing of probate in Singapore

A personal representative of a deceased foreign person can apply for a Grant of Probate to be resealed in Singapore, provided that:

  • The person who has died was domiciled in a Commonwealth Country or Hong Kong,
  • They had assets in Singapore, and
  • A Grant of Probate has already been obtained by the executors in the home country of the deceased person.

When the foreign grant has been resealed, the legal representative is then able to deal with the deceased’s assets in Singapore. For example, they can use the Resealing Court Order and ask financial institutions to transfer assets or monies to them so they can distribute them to the named beneficiaries.

The Singapore courts must be satisfied that the original will and Grant of Probate were made in accordance with the original jurisdiction law, before they’ll allow the resealing of the grant of probate.

Get in touch for assistance

Our lawyers often give expert advice to executors wanting to reseal grants of probate on behalf of foreign nationals with assets held in Singapore. Please contact us if you wish to discuss your circumstances.

Similar Articles

What happens if you die without a Will?

Many people wonder what happens to their assets if they were to die intestate (without leaving a valid will). In this article we answer that question. You may also find this useful if one of your relatives has died without leaving a will, and you aren’t sure if you will inherit something from them. The simple answer is that for people who die without leaving a will, the Intestate Succession...

Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration?

If a deceased person dies and leaves a valid will, then the beneficiaries named in that document will get the assets. A Grant of Probate needs to be obtained by court application. However, if the deceased left no valid will, then family members will have to ask the court to issue a Grant of Letters of Administration. Family members would then receive the inheritance according to the Intestate Succession Act....

What to do when a loved one passes away

Even though experiencing the death of a loved one is a very difficult and emotional event, there are certain things you must do if it happens. These range from hiring a probate lawyer to settle financial and legal matters, as well reporting the death, to deciding how the estate should be managed and settling questions about inheritance. Here are the 8 legal things you should do if a loved one...

× How can we help you? Available on SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday